Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Celebration with Colors !!!


For personalized shoots of any kind, please feel free to drop me a mail at: bidduray@gmail.com.

"Holi", the festival of colours, is one of the most fun filled festival of India. It falls on the full moon day in the month of Phalgun. People of India play with several colours and celebrate this day with full of enthusiasm. Holi is a Hindu festival but people of other religions also join in and take part in this auspicious occasion. This proves India's "Unity in Diversity".

In Bengal, Holi is called "Dol Yatra". Also, since this festival falls in the Bengali season of Basanta (Spring), it is popularly known as "Basanta Utsav". This festival is one of the most important festivals of Shantiniketan and was initiated by Rabindranath Tagore. Apart from Shantiniketan, other parts of Bengal also celebrate this day in their own way and with full of joy. Small children can be seen on the streets playing with coloured water while elder ones enjoy themselves with "Abir" (a dye made from the extracts of several flowers) of several colours.


Basanta Utsav 2011 Celebration in Durgapur
Peoples of Durgapur celebrated this day with full of fun and joy. To observe the occasion, a day long function of several forms was organised by "Agdum Baagdum" group at the Kumar Mangalam Park. This event was really a visual treat to the eyes.









 








© Abhishek Roy All Rights Reserved
Use of these photographs in any form without my permission is strictly prohibited.
All the photographs are also available in higher resolutions.
For any enquiry,  please feel free to drop me a mail at: bidduray@gmail.com.

6 comments:

  1. Nice article with excellent photographs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abhishek,

    I searched Durgapur and I came across your article. I was quite happy to see your article on Holi of Durgapur along with those classic photographs. It made me nostalgic since I am out of my hometown for the last 15 years for the sake of my job. I have heard that Durgapur has changed a lot in the last few years and I wish my Durgapur to become huge in the coming years. Thanks for your article. Would love to see more from you.

    Anindya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Tirtha.
    Thank You Anindya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. all the photos are gallant and artistic ,you really do take good pics!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abhishek..i know compliments about your nice photography has now become a regular part and parcel of your life. But still i want to extend my warm wishes and congratulations to you, especially for the hard work that you are putting in !!!! All the best and I wish to see you growing professionally in this field !!

    ReplyDelete